Recipe by Kim Elias
This bread makes the most wonderful toast I have ever eaten. I have baked this for my Mom for Christmas for years. Sometimes I add extra dates or raisins or nuts for a little variety.
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
- 2 cups granola cereal (any flavor)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 -6 1⁄2 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl.
- Stir in granola, sugar, salt, eggs, oil and 3 cups of flour.
- Mix until smooth.
- Mix in enough remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Place in a greased bowl; turn greased side up.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- (about an hour).
- Grease 2- 9" round cake pans.
- Punch down dough and divide in half.
- Shape each half into a round flat loaf.
- Brush the top of the load with vegetable oil.
- Let rise until double again (about an hour).
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake until the tops of the loaves are deep brown- 30 to 35 minutes.
- Brush the top of the loaves with butter to keep them from getting dried out.