Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This makes a great afternoon snack or even a fun breakfast. Make the day before you plan to serve to give the bars time to firm up.
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 6 tablespoons Earth Balance natural buttery spread, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Substitute
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar (light)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seed butter (or any other nut butter)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flax seeds, ground
- 1 1⁄4 cups puffed brown rice cereal
- 1 cup almonds, slivered (or sliced)
- 1 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips (vegan)
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup dates or 1⁄2 cup fig, chopped
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x13 pan with vegetable spray. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, butter, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Whisk together the egg substitute and the warm water until powder is dissolved. Add to butter/sugar mixture along with agave nectar, vanilla, and sunflower seed butter. Beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and flaxseed. Add the flour mixture gradually to sugar mixture and beat until combined.
- By hand, stir in almonds, brown rice puffs, chocolate chips, oats, and dates/figs until well mixed. Press mixture firmly into the greased pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely and cut into squares.