Recipe by woodland hues
You'd think there's only so many variations on granola bars, and yet here's one that's new to me, and it's easy and fun, and an open invitation to play with amounts and combinations, so play and munch away! This recipe comes from the back of the Rogers Large Flake Oats bag.
- 2 1⁄2 cups large flake oats
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup coconut, unsweetened
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
- 1 cup dried fruit
- 1 cup seeds
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 cup brown sugar, not packed
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the oats, rice cereal, coconut, nuts, seeds, and dried fruit selections in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine butter or margarine, honey and brown sugar in a large pot and stir over medium heat to melt the butter. When it begins to bubble, add dry ingredients and stir well. Continue stirring for about 7 minutes. Mixture may turn a golden brown but avoid over-browning by reducing heat.
- Press firmly into a lightly greased 9" x 13" pan. Let cool before cutting into bars. Bars can be wrapped individually in cling wrap.
- Suggestions for above combos:.
- Seeds: sesame, sunflower, pumpkin.
- Nuts: almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts.
- Dried fruit: raisins, cranberries, apricots, dates, apples.