Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
from "The Kitchen Sink"
- 2 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup pepitas
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup whole almond (or other nut)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup natural-style peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or other dried fruit)
- Preheat the oven to 325. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Next, line a square baking pan (8 or 9 inches) with two perpendicular sheets of parchment paper that are long enough to leave an overhang. The sheets will form a “basket” for you to lift out the sheet of granola, before you cut it into bars.
- Combine the oats, coconut, seeds and nuts; spread out evenly on the rimmed baking sheet and toast for 15 minutes. When the oat mixture has been toasting for about 10 minutes, combine the honey, peanut butter, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and vanilla in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. If the sugar dissolves before the oat mixture is done toasting, reduce the heat to low.
- When the oat mixture is done toasting, transfer it to a large bowl and add the honey mixture and fruit; stir to incorporate. Spread the mixture in the prepared square pan, using the back of a wooden spoon or bottom of a measuring cup to press the mixture into the pan and create a smooth, even surface. Bake the granola mixture for 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Using your parchment “handles,” lift the granola sheet out of the pan and onto a cutting board. Using a large sharp knife, Cut the sheet into one-inch wide bars. Next, cut the series of bars in half, lengthwise. Store in an airtight container.