Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
From 30 Day Gourmet. These granola bars are nice to have on hand in the freezer when we need a quick snack to go or even a breakfast on-the-run. The options are endless, depending on what you like to put in them - and they are much healthier than the commercially prepared ones.
Top Review by beverlyj29
they were grate for my brake at work and my grandson loved them. we are making more tonight. so I'll have them for brake time next week at work. no vending machine chips these are so much better. and will hold you over till lunch
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey or 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups oats
- 2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup nuts, chopped or 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- raisins (optional)
- currants (optional)
- chocolate chips (optional)
- peanut butter chips (optional)
- carob chips (optional)
- chopped dried fruit (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixer bowl, combine oil, brown sugar, honey or corn syrup,vanilla, and eggs.
- Add flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- With a large spoon, stir in oats, cereal, and nuts, fruits, or baking chips.
- Spray treat a 9x13 pan.
- Press the mixture evenly into bottom of pan. For chewy bars, bake at 350 for 25 minutes. The edges will just be beginning to brown, but the top won't be brown yet.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut into 16 bars by slicing through the middle lengthwise, then crosswise 7 times. Allow to cool completely.
- For crunchy bars, bake at 300 until the surface is golden brown all over, about 40-50 minutes.
- Cool completely and cut into 16 bars by slicing through the middle length wise, then crosswise 7 times.
- Freezing Directions:.
- Put the bars in freezer bags or rigid freezer containers.
- Or, for quick individual servings, put each bar in a fold-top sandwich bag, and then put all the sandwich bags in a gallon freezer bag.
- Seal, label and freeze.
- Serving Directions:.
- Remove the needed number of bars from the freezer.
- Allow to thaw at room temperature, or microwave for 20 seconds on high.
- If you're packing lunches, put the frozen bar in the lunch box and it will be thawed by lunchtime!