Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Entry in RSC #9
- 1 1⁄4 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup peanuts
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind (fresh)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice (fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast oats and sunflower seeds on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes until crispy.
- In a large bowl, combine toasted oats and sunflower seeds with remaining ingredients except for sliced almonds.
- Press mixture into an 8-inch greased baking dish.
- Press almonds on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees 15 minutes or until brown and done. Cool before cutting into bars.
I liked them quite a bit, but I felt like they needed more fruit, like raisins, since I love raisins. Unfortunately, I realized that I am not a big fan of sunflower seeds.
I gave this a try mainly because there is only 8 grams of sugar per serving and I wanted to try something that I wouldn't normally make, I used Splenda Brown Sugar (1 TBS)to bring the sugar down a bit more. I liked the flavor but it didn't want to be bars and was happy as granola so I left it as such.
I LOVE peanut butter, so these granola bars are perfect for me! These have a very decadent peanut butter flavour and the dried fruit give a bit of sweetness that complements the peanut butter. Although I like muffins/desserts just slightly sweet, I actually found this one could have used a tbsp or 2 more of the brown sugar, to be slightly sweeter, which would enhance the flavour even more. I liked the look of the almonds on top but the did not stick to the cake all that well. I enjoyed these best slightly warm. Reviewed for RSC #9.