Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
These are my favorite granola bars, altered from a recipe by Alton Brown. You can use any type of nut and fruit. I also usually replace the honey with brown rice syrup.
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 ounce oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 1⁄2 ounces dried fruit, any combination
- Oil 9x9-inch baking dish and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread oats, sunflower seeds, almonds, and wheat germ on cookie sheet. Place in oven and toast 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, combine honey, brown sugar, oil, extract and salt in medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.
- Once the oat mixture is done, remove from oven and reduce the heat to 300. Immediately add the oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into the baking dish and press down (I use a bacon press with parchment paper to get it firmly pressed). Place in oven to bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven and all to cool completely. Cut into squares and store in airtight container for up to one week.
This recipe is great! I can never find one where they actually stay together! I made chocolate cherry, and mixed sunflower and flax seeds. the possibility's here are endless! I haven't noticed a sticking together problem, but I also subbed out a little bit of honey for some almond butter, so maybe mine were a little less sticky? either way, thanks for the hoards of future granola bars!
Love these! I made a few adjustments adding 2 scoops of protein powder and 1/4 c flax meal and 1/4 c oat bran to replace the wheat germ..only because I didn't have any. I used craisins for the fruit. The only thing I would say is to store these flat separated by waxed paper or wrap separately because mine all stuck together after putting them all in a canister type container. I also did step 3 in the microwave...watch closely so you don't cook too long. I will definitely be making these again. Thanks so much for posting this healthy recipe!