Since so many elementary schools are nut free zones, I like making these for my kids to take as wholesome snacks since taking a store bought granola bar would be considered unsafe for those around them with nut allergies. We all LOVE this recipe! Enjoy!
- 4 cups oatmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup coconut
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup honey (OR 1/2 cup honey, 1/4 cup molasses , OR 1/2 cup honey, 1/4 cup corn syrup depending on your taste)
- raisins, chocolate chips, Craisins (or whatever you prefer to add)
- Mix dry ingredients together well.
- Add oil and honey.
- Mix well. Get your fingers in there and mix it until all is blended and sticky feeling. If you don't, they will turn out crumbly.
- Add raisins and whatever else you enjoy.
- Firmly press into jelly roll pan (12 x 15 inch).
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 375°F They will look puffy and soft when you take them out.
- Don't wait until they are brown or they will be very hard.
- Cut into squares while still warm. (I find a pizza cutter works well.).