Recipe by Keolani
This is my husbands favorite breakfast cereal. Also good eaten out of hand. This is one that my mom was famous for. I usually use pecans or walnuts but almonds would also be good. Use a combination of whatever nuts you like.
Top Review by tatumis
This granola is. so. good. Favorite additions/substitutions include mixed seeds, millet, and ground flaxseed for the nuts, sesame seeds, and wheat germ, respectively. Total winner.
- 2365.9 ml rolled oats
- 236.59 ml wheat germ
- 226.79 g flaked coconut
- 473.18 ml sunflower seeds
- 236.59 ml sesame seeds
- 709.77 ml nuts, chopped
- 354.88 ml brown sugar
- 354.88 ml water
- 354.88 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml honey
- 118.29 ml molasses
- 7.39 ml salt
- 9.85 ml ground cinnamon
- 14.78 ml vanilla extract
- raisins (optional) or other dried fruit (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300* F (150* C).
- In a large bowl combine oats, coconut, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and nuts.
- Blend well.
- In a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, water, oil, honey, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Heat until sugar is dissolved, but do not boil.
- Pour syrup over dry ingredients and stir until well-coated.
- In several batches, spread onto baking sheets (with rim) in a thin layer.
- Bake 60 minutes, stirring every 15 until dry.
- Add raisins or other dried fruit, if desired.
- Store in airtight containers in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.