Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is a good traditional dressing, I think you will be impressed!
Make and share this Granny's Turkey Dressing recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 slices day-old bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans ready-to-serve chicken broth
- Spoon shortening into an 8-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Place in a 425* oven for 4 minutes or until hot.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt in a large bowl; add 2 eggs and buttermilk, stirring well.
- Spoon into hot skillet, and bake at 425* for 25-35 minutes or until browned.
- Cool; crumble cornbread into a large bowl.
- Add bread cubes and remaining ingredients, stirring well.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish, and bake at 325* for 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings.