Recipe by Sue Lau
Recipe from Crystal Van Poppe in her booklet "Redneck Recipes". Serve over rice, veggies, or meatloaf- whatever you like. I would recommend using nice ripe home grown or heirloom tomatoes in this for the perfect flavor.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced or 1 cup diced canned italian roma tomato
- 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings or 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 3 tablespoons white cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk cornmeal, salt and pepper (however much salt and pepper you like) into a large skillet with the oil, cooking and stirring over low heat until the cornmeal ts a lovely golden brown.
- Turn heat to low, and stir in water, stirring all the time until the mixture thickens. Add the tomatoes and cook another 10-12 minutes or until hot.