Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
I make sugar cookies for almost every holiday. A lot of fun and the kids can help.
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 354.88 ml butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 2 large eggs
- 29.58 ml vanilla extract
- 946.36 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml cream of tartar
- 354.88 ml powdered sugar
- 44.37 ml butter, softened
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- various food coloring
- colored sprinkles
- In a mixing bowl, cream together sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir together dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture until completely blended.
- Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut with various shaped cookie cutters dipped in flour.
- Transfer cookies to ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Frosting: Mix together sugar, butter, vanilla and milk until desired degree of spreading consistency; add milk if you want thinner frosting.
- Add food coloring to obtain desired color.
- Spread frosting over cookies and decorate with sprinkles.
my favorite go-to recipe for sugar cookies - if you roll them thicker (more than 1/4"), you'll get soft, tender cookies and if you roll them thinner, they'll be crispy. they are delicious both ways. thanks for sharing!
I made these cookies to take to my women's bible study meeting. The dough came together well. Rolled out very easily and I used different Christmas cookie cutter shapes. Piped with colored frosting. They looked beautiful and tasted like a delicate butter cookie. Thank you so much.
These sugar cookies are the best ever in the whole wide world!!! I was surprised at how easy to make they were. I didn't make the frosting, just rolled the dough in little balls then rolled them in sugar and baked. Turned out great. Very soft and buttery. I know I ate at least half of them by myself.