I make sugar cookies for almost every holiday. A lot of fun and the kids can help.
Make and share this Granny's Sugar Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- various food coloring
- colored sprinkles
- In a mixing bowl, cream together sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir together dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture until completely blended.
- Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut with various shaped cookie cutters dipped in flour.
- Transfer cookies to ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Frosting: Mix together sugar, butter, vanilla and milk until desired degree of spreading consistency; add milk if you want thinner frosting.
- Add food coloring to obtain desired color.
- Spread frosting over cookies and decorate with sprinkles.