1/2 Photos of Granny's Strawberry Cake
1 hr 30 mins
This cake is a recipe I got from my grandmother when I first got married over 20 years ago. It is very rich and I still can't stay out of it until it is gone. Since you can make this in different size pans the cook time is estimated and prep time includes cooling and frosting. I like to make it in a half size steamtable aluminum pan to take for gatherings or picnics.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 box yellow cake mix or 1 box white cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) box strawberry gelatin
- 1 1/4 cups frozen strawberries with sugar (thawed)
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil (I prefer olive oil)
- 4 eggs
- 1 dash salt
- Crisco, for greasing cake pans
- 1Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2Grease cake pans (2 OR 3- 8 inch or 2- 9 inch) with crisco.
- 3Use two or three tablespoons of cake mix to dust the greased cake pans.
- 4In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin and salt.
- 5Add oil and start mixer, slowly adding strawberries then the eggs 1 at a time and mix until well blended.
- 6Divide cake mix equally between two or three cake pans.
- 7Quickly place cake pans in the oven and immediately reduce heat to 350º.
- 8Follow cooking chart on cake mix box for pan size you choose, checking at shortest cooking time and watching carefully to prevent scorching.
- 9Cool in pan, on wire rack for 15 minutes.
- 10Remove from pan.
- 11I like to place the layers on wax or parchment paper or paper towels for easier handling to prevent cracking.
- 12For frosting: Mix butter on low speed for 1 or 2 minutes.
- 13Add 1/2 the sugar and mix then the remaining sugar, strawberries and a dash of salt to the butter and mix until well blended.
- 14About 4 minutes.
- 15When cake is completely cool, place one layer on cake plate and put a thin layer of frosting on top.
- 16Place the second layer on the first and put a thin layer of frosting on it.
- 17Top with the third layer and frost top and sides with remaining frosting.
- 18If you only make two layers use a thicker layer of frosting between the two layers.
- 19Allow cake to sit for at least four to six hours before serving.
- 20Overnight is much better.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Granny's Strawberry Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1603 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6580.3
- Calories from Fat 2661
- Total Fat 295.6 g
- Saturated Fat 77.9 g
- Cholesterol 1039.5 mg
- Sodium 4925.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 949.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 750.9 g
- Protein 56.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
strawberries with sugar