Recipe by benze
This is a wonderful recipe. I have had it for many years. It came from the Prodigy Board and had been the member's 96 year old grandmother's recipe. My family loves it. Hope you will too. Just right for a cold winter day.
Top Review by Acerast
This stew has lots of old-fashioned flavor, however it was a bit off balance for my family's taste. I will try this again using half the onions and saute them just a bit before adding the tomatoes (which I chopped). Likewise, the molasses flavor could be a bit more subtle so I will halve it.
- 3 lbs lean stew meat, cubed (I use rump roast)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 4 onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3⁄4 carrot, sliced diagonally
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Dredge meat in flour mixture in bowl with first 6 ingredients.
- Brown in 3-4 T cooking oil.
- Add next 4 ingredients.
- Bring to boil--cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, continue cooking another 1/2 hour.
- Add raisins, continue cooking another 1/2 hour.
- Cook noodles and serve stew over noodles.