Recipe by Sharon123
This is a rich, satisfying meal that freezes well. Great on a cold winter day. Serve it with tortillas, cornbread, French breadand/or rice! Enjoy!
Top Review by meridangola
I'm not vegetarian but have been trying to cut down on meat consumption; I've found that all the vegetarian chilis I've tried taste like they're lacking something. Not this one. I think it's the zucchini, which I shredded for this recipe, which gives the chili more body...or maybe it's all the different kinds of beans which give it enough depth of flavor. Whatever the secret, THANK YOU Sharon123 for posting this amazing recipe that provides a whole lot of delicious, healthy, comfort food for not a lot of $$$- and easy ingredients that are generally kept on-hand to boot!
- 1 (11 ounce) cancondensed black bean soup (or canned black beans in juice)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (sometimes I use lentils)
- 1 (16 ounce) can vegetarian baked beans
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canchopped tomato puree (I use large 29 oz. can crushed tomatoes)
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced chilies
- 1 -2 jalapeno, chopped (depending on how much heat you want)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, saute the onion, bell pepper, zucchini, and celery for about 5 minutes.
- In a slow cooker, combine black bean soup, kidney beans, garbanzo beans, baked beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, bell pepper, zucchini, jalapeno, chilies, and celery.
- Season with garlic, chili powder, cumin, parsley, oregano, basil (and cilantro if using).
- Cook for about 6 hours on low.
- Serve with tortillas, cornbread, rice, or French bread.
- This freezes well!
- Leftovers are good on top of nachos!