Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a recipe that has been pass down for years. Now I'm am passing on to Zaar now. I hope that you love this recipe, because I do. I can remember helping make it when I was little.
- 1 lb beef, with bone
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup cut up celery & leaves
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley, cut fine
- 1⁄2 bay leaf, crumbled
- 3 peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- Cut meat off soup bone; cut in small chunks.
- Brown in 1 or 2 tablespoons hot fat in large kettle.
- Add water and bone; simmer, cover for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove bone and skin fat from top of soup. Add vegetables and seasonings and cook an additional 20 to 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Honestly, I found this to be flat tasting even with the ask for seasonings. I did add 2 very small Yukon Gold potato's to it but that would have no bearing on flavor out come. After a taste test that prompted me to double the peppercorns, marjoram and thyme and give it 2 more hrs of light simmer,I ended up adding almost 1/4 cup of beef soup base to get the flavor richness. I did a very slow cooking over 5 hrs and the beef came out beautiful.