Recipe by vverkin925
I have no idea why Granny called this "Italian" but that's what the recipe says. Her notes on the card say "Will keep 10 days or longer. The older it gets the better. I always leave over night before eating." Splenda can easily be substituted for the sugar.
Top Review by pkkitty
I've made this before and it is the best. The ingredients in this recipe listed 1 cup of sugar but in the method it lists 7/8 cup of sugar with 7/8 cup being correct. After sprinkling on the sugar and pouring the hot liquid over the slaw you should NOT stir until ready to serve.
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced thinly and separated into rings
- 7⁄8 cup sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 cup salad oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl alternate layers of shredded cabbage and onion.
- Top with 7/8 cup sugar.
- In medium sauce pan bring all remaining ingredients just to boil, stirring.
- Remove from heat and while still hot pour over cabbage and onions.
- Cover and let stand for 4-6 hours before serving.