Prep 8 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
A southern staple! These are the best!
- 4 medium green tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Slice tomatoes 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle with salt and lemon pepper.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Mix cornmeal and flour well.
- Coat tomato slices with cornmeal mixture.
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Fry tomatoes for 4 minutes per side, until tender and golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
Terrific, great, fantastic!!!! I used a mixture butter and peanut oil, as needed, in the pan to fry the slices. The lemon pepper was wondeful with the green tomato, great combination. I also liked using the addition of flour with the cornmeal. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
I picked this recipe because it had all the ingredients I normally have on hand. No buttermilk. Simple and delicious. I have made it a couple of times already. Sorry the review was late. Will probably make it a couple of more times before the tomatoes are gone for the year!
These were very good. I actually was out of lemon pepper, so I substituted Everyday Seasoning. I was struggling to have enough cornflour/flour coating stay on the tomatoes until I read the review stating to coat, then dip in egg, then coat again. Those turned out wonderful!