Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
Recipe from Crystal Van Poppe in her booklet "Redneck Recipes"
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup self rising flour
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings or 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Gently stir together all ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Drop batter with a large spoon onto a hot, well greased griddle.
- Cook as you would for pancakes, turning to brown both sides.
- Serve with butter.
Your picture looks just like the fried mush cakes my grandmother and my mother made when I was a child. I still make them too, but I add 1/2 tsp. of salt to the batter before I fry. Always a family favorite.
Awesome! I loved it thank you
I cant rate you yet cause I just found the recipe 2day ;;but I will let ya know how my wife n me like it wen we make it2day ok ;;but it sure looks good n sounds good 2;;now I can make cornbread 2 ;;ty;;n your grnadmom 2 for this recipe 4 shareing it with all ;;alabama;barry;;