Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
My favorite apple cake - packed with sentimentality! Granny used to make this when I was growing up - it was one of my favorite things! I have adapted it a little to make it healthier (I just have to do that with everything!) - the original recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of oil - and I use freshly ground wheat or oat flour in place of the all purpose. **PLEASE NOTE** If you substitute store-bought wheat flour for the all-purpose, you do not need to add the additional amount of flour - just use the same amount as all-purpose.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour or 3 3⁄4 cups freshly ground soft wheat flour or 3 3⁄4 cups oat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped apple
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped coconut
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together flour, soda, salt and cinnamon and add to first mixture.
- Stir in apples, pecans and coconut.
- Pour mixture into greased and floured tube pan.
- Bake at 325°F for 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes, or until cake leaves side of pan and cake tests done in the middle.
- For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and orange juice, stirring until there are no lumps.
- Pour glaze over hot cake, making sure it runs down sides of cake while still in pan.
- Let stand for about 15 minutes before turning out of pan onto rack, quickly reversing over on another rack.