1/2 Photos of Granny's Dessert - Trifle Sponges & Custard
This isn't truly a trifle recipe, it's just what my sister and I used to call it when we were kids. I don't think there's really a name for it - it's just very simple, sweet and yummy. It looks nothing special, it sounds nothing special, but serve it up and it'll be gone in seconds!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small sponge cake
- 236.59 ml raspberry jam (or flavour of your choosing)
- 75 g custard mix (Granny always made it up from Birds tinned powder and full fat milk, but I'm sure any custard will d)
- 1NB. The ingredients list wouldn't let me specify amounts as I wanted so I had to improvise. In the UK we have packets of trifle sponges (they come in packs of 10-12 I think) which are like thin sponge blocks of about 2cmx4cmx5cm. If you can find these then use 1 to 3/4 of a pack (approx. 8-10), or otherwise a small, plain sponge cake would do - just cut it up into small-ish squares of approximately the same size. It's not really important. With the jam you can add as much or as little as you like (depending on how sweet you can handle it) and the custard should be approximately one standard size pack of instant custard, which is 75g in the UK.
- 2Cut the trifle sponges in half lengthways and generously cover both sides with jam before putting back together to make a mini sponge sandwich. Cut in half widthways.
- 3Make up the custard (it needs to be a reasonably thin consistency).
- 4Mix the sponges in the custard and add a couple of spoons of extra jam. Mix well (don't expect it to look nice - it'll look like lumpy baby food!).
- 5Serve instantly!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Granny's Dessert - Trifle Sponges & Custard
Serving Size: 1 (212 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.7
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 164.6 mg
- Sodium 356.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 140.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 80.5 g
- Protein 7.7 g