Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe from Crystal Van Poppe in her booklet "Redneck Recipes"
- 1 cup pork crackling
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup bacon drippings (may use cooking oil)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Separately, mix together milk/buttermilk, eggs, and bacon drippings, Stir until smooth, then fold in cracklings.
- Pur into a greased 10 inch cake pan and bake at 425F for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Another wonderful recipe that was handed down to me, except I've alway's used buttermilk and the bacon drippings and I bake mine in a pre-heated, greased cast iron frying pan. I buy my cracklings from my local grocery store. We love it served with a pot of greens and smoked ham.