Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My mother has used this recipe for years. It makes a "hard" icing; the icing gets firm quite quickly, so you have to work fast. The original recipe came from "Winning Seasons", a cookbook from the Junior League of Tuscaloosa, Al, in 1979. You can substitute 4 tablespoons cocoa for the unsweetened chocolate, if necessary. I usually use it on a sheet cake, rather than layers.
- Put all ingredients, except the vanilla, in a large pot. Bring to a boil over low to medium-low heat, stirring constantly.
- Let the mixture boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla.
- Beat until it reaches spreading consistency.
- Spread on cooled cake quickly.
Thanks for posting this! It's my all-time favorite icing recipe, but I couldn't remember the name of that cookbook!