Recipe by Sara Bates
This is the chili recipe that I grew up with that was passed down from my Granny, to my mom, to me! I absolutely adore it, even if it's not a purist's idea of chili. Yes, there is canned Chili in the recipe, but it's still delicious and super easy. It makes plenty to freeze and reheat whenever you don't feel like making dinner!
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1⁄2 large onion
- 2 (30 ounce) cans chili with beans (Varallo is my favorite)
- 4 cups water
- 12 ounces tomato juice
- 2⁄3 lb elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot or dutch oven, cook ground chuck. Then, saute onion in the fat.
- In a separate pot, boil macaroni according to instructions on box.
- Once the onion and ground chuck are cooked, add the cans of Varallo chili, tomato juice, spices, and water. (Here's a tip, just fill both cans 2/3rds of the way up with water -- that should be plenty)
- After the macaroni is cooked, dump in into the big pot with the chili and simmer and reduce for around 30 minutes.