Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I printed this from Allrecipes.com, where it was submitted by Heather Denard. I added the green beans the first time I made it and it makes a great, easy meal.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup instant rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cut green beans, drained (I use GG kitchen cut for this)
- 6 slices American cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brown ground beef and onions in a dutch oven until beef is no longer pink.
- Drain excess fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the cheese, and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Place in a 9 x 13 casserole dish and top with the slices of cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and starting to brown.
- **NOTE**-Thisfreezes well (without the cheese, of course) so I usually make mine in 2 8 x 8 disposable pans and put one in the freezer for later.
- Add a small salad and some fruit and you've got an easy meal!
- **Istill think when I read it each time that it is too much garlic powder, but I have tried with less and it really does need that much.
- I also don't know why the sugar is there, but the taste is not the same without it!
This was GREAT! I actually found the recipe in my grandmothers recipe collection, but wanted an updated version...(there was stuff like..use x amount of Lard etc...)?! My family gobbled this right up! Thank you so much for sharing! LA :-)