Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Excellent when served hot with butter. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3⁄4 cup flour, sifted
- 1 cup natural bran
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix together thoroughly.
- Cut in butter or other shortening with a pastry blender; add enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Roll out 1/2 inch thick on a floured board, cut into rounds and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
This is a nice biscuit recipe, Molly! I love that this is a healthier option. I used oat bran, and since I had to make this batch dairy-free, I used margarine and water replaced the milk. Next time I make this -- and there will definitely be a next time -- I will try it with butter and milk. Thanks!