Recipe by karma
I got this recipe from my mom, who in turn got it from my dad's grandmother. I have very fond childhood memories of this cake, and rarely waited long enough for it to cool down before sneaking a slice.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening or 1⁄2 cup butter, plus (or combination of both)
- 1 tablespoon shortening or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup applesauce
- powdered sugar
- strong instant coffee
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 350, grease a nine inch loaf pan.
- Cream shortening and sugar till fluffy.
- Add beaten egg and continue creaming till well incorporated.
- Sift flour with dry ingredients.
- Add flour mixture and applesauce alternately to creamed ingredients.
- When all ingredients have been fully incorporated, pour into greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes.
- Mix powdered sugar with coffee to make thin glaze.
- Drizzle glaze over cake when it has cooled.