Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Nice home style cake good for breakfast with coffe as well as a dessert.
- 2 1⁄4 cups plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup dark seedless raisins
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- NOTE: You may adjust spices according to spices in apple butter if the butter is particularly strong flavored or extra light flavored.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour a 13 x 9 inch baking pan or 3 coffee cans or 2 loaf pans.
- Into large bowl, measure all ingredients except raisins and nuts.
- With mixer at low speed, beat until well-mixed, constantly scraping bowl with spatula.
- Beat at high speed for 3 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl.
- Stir in raisins and nuts.
- Pour batter into pan or divide equally between coffee cans or loaf pans.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes (longer for coffee cans).
- Check for doneness by inserting toothpick in center until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan or on wire rack.
This recipe was fantastic the grand children ask for it each time they come across. I think its great too will be having more of this.
Excellent. . .the only changes I made were to add a teaspoon of vanilla (I put vanilla in almost anything baked) and left out the nuts (because I didn't have any). The only reason I can't evaluate it for breakfast is that it didn't last that long!
I made this for my family and they all loved it. The only thing I left out of the cake were the raisins (I don't like them). I iced it with a cream cheese frosting and it was great.