Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
The Mexican Flan with coconut, says it all! A lovely dessert!
- 8 ounces coconut milk
- 8 ounces coconut cream
- 1 cup coconut, toasted
- 1 cup sugar (I use Splenda)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 eggs, whole
- 3 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine coconut milk and coconut cream. Bring to boil, reduce and simmer 15 minutes.
- Take off flame and let cool.
- Add toasted coconut. Let toasted coconut infuse for 15 minutes.
- For caramel, add sugar (or Splenda) and water in medium sauce pot. Cook until amber in color, then whisk in lemon juice.
- Pour caramel evenly into 4-oz. ramekins and set aside.
- Strain coconut mixture into a bowl. Add eggs and yolks, whisk lightly.
- Fill each ramekin with mixture, place ramekins in a roasting pan then fill the roasting pan half way up the outside of the ramekins with hot water. (this is called a Ban Marie or water bath) Cook in oven, covered with foil, for 25 minutes.