Recipe by GoKittenGo
From "The Best of Gourmet 2002". If you use parchment on the baking sheets, the chips will tend to stick. A mandoline is a godsend, as the slices need to be very, very thin. All that aside, these are delicious.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Farenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with baking pad or parchment.
- Sift together confectioners sugar and cumin twice to mix thoroughly.
- Sift half of the cumin sugar evenly onto the baking sheet.
- Cut apple crosswise into very thin, round slices (about 1/16 of an inch thick) with a mandoline.
- Arrange the 20 largest slices nearly touching on the baking sheet.(There will be some left over.).
- Evenly sift remaining sugar over slices.
- Bake slices in middle of oven until pale golden and beginning to crisp, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Immediately peel chips off pad or parchment and cool on a rack.
- Note: The remaining apples? Try the same thing, but use cinnamon in place of the cumin. :).