Granny Smith Apple Pie Cupcakes
- To cook the apples: Place butter and sugar in a large fry pan over low-medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add apple slices and cook for 8-10 minutes or until apples are lightly caramelized. Remove apples from pan and let cool completely.
- To make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 325°F Line 24 4-fl-oz-capacity muffin wells with paper liners.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside dry ingredients.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides if the bowl occasionally. Beat in the vanilla and grated zest.
- On low speed, add the flour mixture and mix until flour is barely incorporated. Add the milk and mix until just smooth.
- Divide the batter among lined muffin wells, filling each well about 2/3 full. Top with the apples.
- Bake at 325F until a cake tested comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool cupcakes on cooling racks. Make sure cupcakes are completely cooled before frosting.
- To frost the cupcakes: In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the confectioner's sugar and cinnamon and beat for another 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Frost the cupcakes.