Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
In 'Mrs. Rowe's Little Book of Southern Pies'
Make and share this Granny Smith Apple Pie recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 425°; line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 rolled-out crust.
- Put the apples in a large bowl, add the lemon juice, and toss to coat.
- Separately, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg, mix thoroughly, then add to the apples.
- Gently stir until the apples are thoroughly coated, then spoon the mixture evenly into the crust.
- Dot the top with the butter.
- Brush the rim of the crust with water, cover with the second rolled-out crust, seal and flute or crimp the edges, and cut a few steam vents in the top.
- Make the glaze-mix the warm milk with the sugar.
- Brush the glaze over the top crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350° and bake another 30-40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is tender.
- Check the pie about halfway through the baking time, and place pie crust shield over pie crust edges (if getting too brown).
- Cool on a wire rack for 1-2 hours before slicing.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.