1/1 Photo of Granny Smith Apple Pie
2 hrs 25 mins
1 hr 30 mins
In 'Mrs. Rowe's Little Book of Southern Pies'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 double crust pie crust
- 6 cups peeled sliced granny smith apples (about 2 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1Preheat oven to 425°; line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 rolled-out crust.
- 2Put the apples in a large bowl, add the lemon juice, and toss to coat.
- 3Separately, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg, mix thoroughly, then add to the apples.
- 4Gently stir until the apples are thoroughly coated, then spoon the mixture evenly into the crust.
- 5Dot the top with the butter.
- 6Brush the rim of the crust with water, cover with the second rolled-out crust, seal and flute or crimp the edges, and cut a few steam vents in the top.
- 7Make the glaze-mix the warm milk with the sugar.
- 8Brush the glaze over the top crust.
- 9Bake for 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350° and bake another 30-40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is tender.
- 10Check the pie about halfway through the baking time, and place pie crust shield over pie crust edges (if getting too brown).
- 11Cool on a wire rack for 1-2 hours before slicing.
- 12Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Granny Smith Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 365.7
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 4.0 mg
- Sodium 249.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 23.7 g
- Protein 3.5 g