Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Lately, I've been on an apple pie binge and I've made it so many times that they're all starting to blur together. I started out simple, with just a recipe I found somewhere, but then I started tweaking, and I think that this recipe is almost perfect, well, for me anyway. This recipe can also be made gluten free!! Now I have been trying to make this pie all organic (which makes it taste 10x better!! highly recommend it!) but I've run into a problem with the apples. They're just too juicy to make the filling come out gooey, if you have any suggestions please leave a comment!
- 7 xl granny smith apples (non organic)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 1⁄4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons organic cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
Pie Crust (double crust)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, gluten free only
- 1 cup of cold butter or 2 sticks butter flavor shortening
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- ice cold water
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup cinnamon sugar, mixture
- Making the Crust:.
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in cold butter/shortening with flour salt mixture until it starts balling up to the size of a pea or smaller.
- Knead the cold water into the flour mixture by spoonful until the bowl starts to clean itself or the dough start to feel slightly wet (make sure not to over knead!). Pack your dough carefully into a ball and put into a zip-lock bag and refrigerate it for at least 30 minute.
- Making the Filling (Preheat the oven to 450 F).
- Split the dough into halves, flour a flat surface, roll out into circle until 1/4 inch thick, and put into the pie pan. Place the pie pan back into the fridge along with the.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cornstarch in a small bowl. Peel, core, and slice Granny Smith's to desired thickness (prefer 1/4 inch) and place inside large bowl. Add lemon zest and sugar mixture to the apples until evenly distributed.
- Place apples into into pie crust one layer at a time. In between layers add drops of softened butter, about 5 small drops on each layer. Once apples are all in, add the extra juice from the bottom of the bowl.
- Roll out your top crust on a floured surface, Place your top crust on the pie (if not lattice, make sure to cut about 3 finger length slits in the top for the steam to escape).
- Beat 1 egg and brush over the pie crust. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture to the crust until completely covered.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450 F (put a cookie sheet a rack beneath your pie in case it dribbles over).Turn oven down to 350 F and bake for 50 minutes.
- Take it out and set on cooling rack. Let it cool completely and then enjoy!