1/2 Photos of Granny Smith Apple Cake
Chef Itchy Monkey's Note:
Slightly modified version of a recipe in Everyday Food magazine. This cake is SO good, especially while it's still warm (or reheated). Great for breakfast. Or topped with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. I choose Granny Smith apples for their tartness and because they hold their shape after baking. The apples come out completely soft after baking. I love the tartness of the apples mixed with the sweetness of the cake. Optional: Add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts if desired. Note: The original recipe called for 1/2c of butter, but I reduced that to 1/4 and added in 1/4 applesauce to lower the fat in the recipe. You won't even miss the extra butter at all.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 medium granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan, set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- 3Add the apples, butter, applesauce, and eggs; stir just till combined. Batter will be VERY chunky, mostly apples.
- 4Spoon batter into pan, smooth with a spatula. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Granny Smith Apple Cake
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.3
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 34.0 mg
- Sodium 183.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 21.9 g
- Protein 2.5 g