Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Southern to the Core a beautfful cookbook I received in the 2011 Cookbook Swap fro, BusyMomof3, this reminds me of the cheese and mac I learnt in high school nearly 40 years ago from an American teacher the only difference was we used Australian cheddar as American cheese, the only addition I personally made was to add a sprinkle of paprika, unfortunately due to dietary restrictions it is no longer made. In the cooking time I have included cooking the pasta (this could vary a little on variety - I allowed 15 minutes which would I think be the maximum)
- 226.79 g macaroni (package)
- 44.37 ml butter
- 44.37 ml flour
- 473.18 ml milk
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 226.79 g American cheese (grated)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cook macaroni in boiling saltged water until tender, drain and rincse.
- Make white sauce of butter, flour, milk, salt and pepper (do this by blending these ingredients over a low heat ) - o'kay what I do - melt butter and add flour and cook off for a minute or two over low heat and then add warmed milk and whisk till smooth and let thicken over heat and then add 2/3 of the cheese into this mixture and stire until melted.
- Pour the entire cobmination over the cooked macaroni in a greased baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese over the top and bake for 30 minutes.
This is wonderful recipe. Incredibly easy with ingredients that most have handy. This is super Delish! I added a 15 oz can of drained whole kernel corn to the macaroni mixture. I also added a 1/3 of a cup of mild shredded cheddar cheese with the American cheese for the topping. If you like a little heat; I highly recommend drizzling a little Srirachi Hot Chili Sauce when plated. Yum!
Wonderful comfort dish!!! Just love this mac and cheese!! I did as you did by using cheddar cheese and then I added just a bit of American cheese for the creaminess. American cheese wouldn't be enough flavor for me by itself, but as made was wonderful. I made 1/3 of the recipe for my lunch today and served it with some apples. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for 123 Tag Game.