Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a wonderful and simple salad. We love it. The dressing is great.
- 1 bunch fresh spinach
- 10 -12 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (chopped or sliced)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) carton fresh mushrooms
- 1 (3 3/4 ounce) package sunflower seeds
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onions
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- salt and pepper
- Dressing: Mix all ingredients well and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Salad: Wash and pat dry the spinach, put between paper towels, place in plastic bag and refrigerate Toss spinach with remaining ingredients, adding the mushrooms to taste and the dressing just before serving.
A very pretty and delicious salad. This would be perfect to serve to dinner guests. I liked the sweet/sour taste of the dressing, and the bright red color added a festive touch to the salad. I also liked that the dressing had no added fat (although the salad ingredients have plenty). I could see using this dressing on plain greens as well for a low-fat salad. The only change I made was to leave out the sunflower seeds.
Didn't care for the dressing at all, but the salad itself was great. I'll make this salad again and again, and people can put whatever dressing they like from the fridge. I liked it a lot with ranch.
We really loved this salad! The ingredients are perfect together. I used pine nuts instead of sunflower seeds but made no other adjustments! The salad dressing is fabulous! This has become our favorite spinach salad! Excellent recipe! Beautiful Salad! Thanks!!!