1/1 Photo of Granny Glen's Scotch Broth
1 hr 30 mins
Pesto lover's Note:
From The Daily Telegraph (telegraph.co.uk)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lamb, neck with bone if possible
- 4 ounces pearl barley, soaked overnight
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, chopped, white and light green part only
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 turnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 1 small savoy cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 12 cups water
- 1Put the water and lamb in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat, skimming foam and fat from the top.
- 2In a small skillet, saute the onion and leek in the oil until softened. Add to soup. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and simmer on med-low heat for 30 minutes.
- 3Add barley, stir, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 4Add all other ingredients, except parsley. Simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 5If you used meat with bones, take meat out, remove meat from bones and return meat to soup. Discard bones.
- 6Garnish with parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Granny Glen's Scotch Broth
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.8
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 40.0 mg
- Sodium 86.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: