Cook1 hr 30 mins
From The Daily Telegraph (telegraph.co.uk)
Make and share this Granny Glen's Scotch Broth recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs lamb, neck with bone if possible
- 4 ounces pearl barley, soaked overnight
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, chopped, white and light green part only
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 turnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 1 small savoy cabbage, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 12 cups water
- Put the water and lamb in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat, skimming foam and fat from the top.
- In a small skillet, saute the onion and leek in the oil until softened. Add to soup. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and simmer on med-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add barley, stir, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients, except parsley. Simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- If you used meat with bones, take meat out, remove meat from bones and return meat to soup. Discard bones.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.