Recipe by dawnydumps
A is a surprisingly delicious simple healthy hearty lentil soup recipe from my Grandmother, and it's so cheap to make.
- 250 g red lentils, rinsed
- 2 -3 stock, cubes depending on taste (use gluten free stock cubes if you want the gluten free soup)
- 1 leek, rinsed and sliced
- 2 -3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 -2 pint water
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the water, add the stock cubes.
- Once they have dissolved, add the lentils and simmer.
- Whilst the lentils are simmering, chop the potatoes first and add to the lentils, then the carrots and lastly the leek.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft, usually 20-30 mins depending on the size of the veg.
- *add ham/bacon.
- *fry the leeks in butter before adding to the soup.
- *keep it chunky or whiz with a hand-held blender.
- Once pureed this soup freezes. To defrost simply cover the bottom of a pot with water, put the frozen soup in it and gently heat until the soup is warmed through.
- I always make double to freeze and it rarely sees the freezer.