Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is from the late Granny Betty, lover of mayonaisse and crossword puzzles. When I first had a holiday meal with my husband's family this was called, "The apple salad." I thought it would be a waldorf, but it is more like a refreshing dessert salad. It is a must have at every holiday dinner. We have an apple peeler/ corer from the fair just for making this salad.
- 6 -8 golden delicious apples
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 12 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- Peel and core apples and place in a bowl.
- Add the crushed pineapple and juices immediately so apples don't brown.
- Cut the cherries in half and add to salad.
- Mix in the mayonaisse and refrigerate until ready to serve.
GREAT TASTING FRUIT SALAD, & I didn't even mind peeling the apples! Also liked the ABSENCE of any nuts in this particular salad! The recipe didn't indicate that the apples should be sliced, but that's a given in a salad like this, so . . . Another time, though, I think I'll leave the apples unpeeled & go on from there! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]