This old cheese cake came from Lithuania. My grannie told me her oma said they used to make this with cheese made from Reindeer milk. Grannie adjusted these for todays markets. I still make it occasionally.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon water or 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages vanilla pudding mix, the boiling kind
- 2 cups milk, separated
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract or 1/4 teaspoon bitter almond extract
- 2 -3 lbs cottage cheese, uncreamed works best,but no ricotta
- 1/4 cup sultanas or 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Crust: Sift flour, baking powder and sugar together on a flat surface.
- 2Make a well in the center.
- 3Add egg yolks, and liquid.
- 4Mix with some of the flour to make a thick paste.
- 5Cut butter into small pieces, put on top of paste, cover with flour and quickly mix into a smooth dough.
- 6Pat about 1/2 of the dough on bottom of 9" spring form pan.
- 7Knead one tbsp flour into the remaining dough.
- 8Attach side of pan to bottom.
- 9Shape dough into a roll and lay on side of pan and work up the side about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2".
- 10Prick dough several times with a fork.
- 11Bake at 400ºF for about 10 minutes or till lightly golden brown.
- 12Filling: Place cottage cheese in solid weave straining bag.
- 13Drain overnight or squeeze as much liquid as possible from cheese to make about 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cup cheese.
- 14Mix the pudding mixes with 1/2 cup milk, set aside.
- 15Bring remaining milk and sugar to boil, stirring constantly.
- 16Remove from heat.
- 17Add pudding/milk mix and bring back to boiling, stirring constantly until thick.
- 18Remove from heat.
- 19Add cheese and extract and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 20Remove from heat.
- 21Add sultanas.
- 22Beat egg whites into snow, slowly adding sugar beating well after each addition.
- 23Fold egg white into cheese mix and turn into crust lined pan.
- 24Smooth out surface.
- 25Brush: Mix egg yolk and water.
- 26Gently brush top of cheese mixture.
- 27Bake at 275ºF to 300ºF for 45 to 60 minutes.
- 28This cake should not rise very much during the baking.
- 29It seems that it gets too tall reduce the heat.
- 30To tell if the cake is done, shake the form gently, the center should jiggle just a little.
- 31Remove cake from oven and, unlatch the side and gently remove crust from side.
- 32Leave sides in place and let cake cool completely.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grannie's Cheesecake - Oma's Käsekuchen
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.8
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 52.0 mg
- Sodium 373.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 9.9 g