Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another NC Piedmont favorite is the Moravian Sugar Cake. This recipe is a slight twist to this traditional delicacy. I got the recipe from my friend's Granmaw Betty who lives in Stokes County, NC. It is very good.
- 2 (8 ounce) cans Pillsbury Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup of melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Spread one can of rolls in an ungreased 9x13 pan.
- Beat together cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon then reserve.
- Spread this mixture over dough in the pan.
- Spread the other can of rolls over the cheese mixture.
- Pour the melted butter over the tops of the rolls.
- Sprinkle with lots of brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.
Being from the piedmont area of NC I grew up on sugar cake. This is a delicious new twist on an old favorite when adding the cream cheese filling. The best part is the recipe is quick, easy and boy is it good!
I found this gem when I needed a quick coffee cake. I made it for a work thing and it was the hit of the breakfast. Quick, easy, and delicious! This one's a keeper--Thanks Peg!