Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 hrs
Growin' up in Chicago I remember as a kid runnin' the streets of the Italian neighborhood in summer and getting cooled off eatin' Italian Ice.
- Begin the preceding night by squeezing the lemons into a strainer formed by placing a coffee filter in a strainer. Strain the lemon juice into a small bowl containing the cold water - this is a very slow drop-by-drop process.
- Add the sugar the next morning.
- Mix very well with a wooden spoon until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour into a tin or aluminum pan.
- Place the pan in the freezer.
- Let rest for about 5 hours, breaking up the solid layer of ice which forms at least once every hour.
- Remove the pan from the freezer.
- Cut the ice into pieces with a knife.
- Place the ice pieces in an ice crusher (or into a blender running at low speed).
- The ice should form a smooth consistent texture of imperceptible grains (almost like ice cream - no large grains or chunks).
- Transfer to individual serving glasses.