Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love tuna melts and I love Green Chiles so this recipe sounds like it was meant for me. This recipe won $10,000 in the 42nd Pillsbury Bake Off .
- 1 (16 1/3 ounce) canhomestyle refrigerated reduced-fat buttermilk biscuits (16.3 oz. can "Grands" These are the large ones)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise or 1⁄3 cup salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 (6 ounce) cans albacore tuna in water, drained
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- chopped tomato, if desired
- shredded lettuce, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F Spray large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Separate dough into 8 biscuits; place 2 1/2 inches apart on cookie sheet. With bottom of flat 2-inch-diameter glass or with fingers, press biscuits into 3 1/2-inch rounds with 1/4-inch rim around outer edge.
- In small bowl, beat egg yolk and water with fork until well blended. Brush over tops and sides of biscuits. Sprinkle each with sesame seed. Bake 13 to 17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix mayonnaise, cilantro, salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning and green chiles. Stir in tuna; set aside.
- Set oven control to broil. Spoon about 1/4 cup tuna mixture into indentation in each biscuit; sprinkle each with 1/4 cup cheese. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Carefully remove biscuits from cookie sheet. Garnish with tomato and lettuce.
Yum! This was great! Even the 4&5 yr olds liked it. Instead of egg and sesame, though, I brushed the tops of the biscuits w olive oil and sprinkled sea salt during the broil. Otherwise, made as posted.