Recipe by Secret Agent
My maternal grandfather got me hooked on egg creams when I was a kid. He used Cocoa Marsh but I can't find it anywhere so I just use Hershey's syrup. It's funny, this chocolate soda contains neither eggs nor cream. Try it and you will get hooked on it too.
Top Review by Oolala
Do you get U-bet syrup there? http://www.foxs-syrups.com/ I grew with these too and still have them often. If you're ever in NY, you have to have one at Sammy's Roumanian on the Lower East Side- it's a production! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfOTomTGBlU
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk (no substitutions)
- 4 tablespoons Hershey's syrup (I use lots more than 4 Tablespoons)
- 8 ounces club soda (or seltzer)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the milk in a very tall glass and add the Hershey's syrup, stirring well. Add ice and stir again.
- Pour club soda over all and stir again until the foam comes to the top of the glass and stick a straw in it and drink it all up.
- (You can use other flavors to jazz this up such as coffee crystals added to the milk, but a true East Coast Egg Cream has just these three ingredients.).