Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
My maternal grandfather got me hooked on egg creams when I was a kid. He used Cocoa Marsh but I can't find it anywhere so I just use Hershey's syrup. It's funny, this chocolate soda contains neither eggs nor cream. Try it and you will get hooked on it too.
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk (no substitutions)
- 4 tablespoons Hershey's syrup (I use lots more than 4 Tablespoons)
- 8 ounces club soda (or seltzer)
- Put the milk in a very tall glass and add the Hershey's syrup, stirring well. Add ice and stir again.
- Pour club soda over all and stir again until the foam comes to the top of the glass and stick a straw in it and drink it all up.
- (You can use other flavors to jazz this up such as coffee crystals added to the milk, but a true East Coast Egg Cream has just these three ingredients.).
Do you get U-bet syrup there? http://www.foxs-syrups.com/ I grew with these too and still have them often. If you're ever in NY, you have to have one at Sammy's Roumanian on the Lower East Side- it's a production! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfOTomTGBlU