Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
What makes these biscuits special? I use a soft winter wheat flour, or cake-four, such as Swan's Down or White Lily, to keep the biscuits soft and moist. If you aren't using butter in your biscuit recipes, they won't be as flaky on the outside as they can be. This recipe gives you the benefits of both shortening and flour--as well as the wonderful flavor of buttermilk! Enjoy.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor outfitted with a plastic blade.
- Pulse until well-blended.
- Add the butter and shortening and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, about 5 seconds.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and add the buttermilk.
- Stir with a fork until it forms a dough.
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto a greased baking sheet, 1-inch apart from each other.
- The dough may also be spooned on top of savory fillings to form a crust.
- Bake until slightly golden, about 20-25 minutes.