1/3 Photos of Grandpa's Sauerkraut and Kielbasa
3 hrs 20 mins
I grew up asking for sauerkraut instead of candy as a child, and my grandfather always made it for me. This is my version of what he would make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (four if you are a garlic lover)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced (try to use a waxy potato like Yukon gold (russets will disintegrate in the baking process)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag sauerkraut, from the deli aisle (not canned please)
- 1 lb beef kielbasa, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (two if you're an insane sausage lover)
- 1Put the cold butter in a cold pan with the diced onion, and slowly bring to a simmer on medium heat.
- 2This brings out the sweetness of the onions.
- 3Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 4Add minced garlic and simmer 2 more minutes.
- 5Add next 3 ingredients.
- 6Combine with the sauerkraut (undrained and not rinsed), kielbasa and potatoes.
- 7Bring to a simmer on the stove top.
- 8Cover loosely with foil and place in a preheated 225°F oven for 3 hours.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandpa's Sauerkraut and Kielbasa
Serving Size: 1 (448 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.7
- Calories from Fat 387
- Total Fat 43.0 g
- Saturated Fat 21.6 g
- Cholesterol 139.4 mg
- Sodium 2345.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 19.6 g