Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my variation on the delicious chili my grandfather used to make. It was the only thing he could cook (besides hot dogs), but he certainly did it right. Make sure you have a large pot to cook it in, 'cause it makes enough to have some now and freeze some for later.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, rough chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 3 -4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- salt and pepper
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat oil until hot. Add onion and garlic, cooking until the onions are opaque.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the ground beef, ground turkey and salt and pepper to taste. Using a wooden spoon, work the ground beef and turkey until it is in small pieces. Add the celery and green pepper. Allow to cook for about four minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add the chili powder, cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper. Add both cans of tomatoes and all of the beans. Add the ketchup and the tomatoe juice.
- Reduce heat to low or medium low and allow to simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.
This is by far the easiest and best Chili I've ever made. It's got just the right amount of spice without making it unbearably hot. Wonderful flavor, my whole family loved it. We lost this recipe once and just had to find it again.